Update: These instructions have been updated as of February 14. This exception may now be taken for both Oakland USD and Fremont USD applicants. Those planning to apply after our standard deadline should check back here for updates.
ATDP is aware that students in the Fremont and Oakland Unified School Districts may be facing difficulty in completing their ATDP applications. Due to ongoing contract negotiations, teachers in these districts may not be able to complete the Teacher Recommendation Form (TRF) for their students, which is normally a required item. ATDP will make specific exceptions (see below) for applicants who:
- submit a report card from a public school in the Fremont Unified School District or Oakland Unified School District as part of their application, and
- complete their application on or before February 27, 2019 (the standard application deadline). (We may revise this date as the situation develops.)
In lieu of a Teacher Recommendation Form (TRF) completed by a current teacher in an academic subject, Fremont USD and Oakland USD applicants (and only these applicants) may submit one or more of the following alternatives:
- A Teacher Recommendation Form submitted by a mentor, tutor, coach, or other adult who knows you well and who can comment on your performance in an extracurricular activity. Academic activities are highly preferred. The recommender should explain their relationship to you (the applicant) in the “Comments” section. Recommenders cannot be family members. If completing the TRF online, this person can enter any option under “Subject” and “Course name” and we will ignore these fields.
- A copy of an existing document that contains a teacher’s substantial written evaluation of your (the applicant’s) academic performance. Such documents may include progress reports, written feedback on overall student progress, or reports from a parent-teacher conference. The document must contain feedback from August 2018 or later. Returning students may not submit feedback given for ATDP coursework. These documents may be emailed, faxed, or mailed to our office; please ensure your (the applicant’s) entire name is included with the document so we can match it with your application. If you choose this option and are applying online, select the “I will ask my teacher to complete a paper form” option in the Teacher Recommendation Form section—this will allow you to complete the application form—and then, mention the alternative document in your Letter/Statement of Interest.
- Returning students only: If neither of the two alternatives listed above are possible AND you have attended ATDP in the past two years, you may indicate in your Letter/Statement of Interest that we should refer to the existing Teacher Recommendation Form that you submitted with a previous application. The existing form must be for the same division to which you are applying (Elementary or Secondary Division). If you choose this option and are applying online, select the “I will ask my teacher to complete a paper form” option in the Teacher Recommendation Form section—this will allow you to complete the application form.
ATDP is committed to its holistic approach in assessing applicants using multiple indicators of academic strengths. If you have any questions or concerns about how to complete your application, please contact our office.
We will continue to update this page as information changes regarding teachers in these districts.